1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
- Guide for creating a new email address
Apple users (iPhone, iPad, Mail for Mac OSx, etc.): we recommend using the synchronization profile that will configure your device automatically. Download it from WorkSpace: https://config.infomaniak.com/
Reading and sending your emails with WorkSpace
WorkSpace is the simplest solution for:
- Reading and sending your emails from your Internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc.).
- Synchronizing your contacts and calendars with a smartphone, tablet or email software.
"Step-by-step" configuration guides for Mac, Linux, Android, etc.
- Apple Mail MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) / 10.14 / 10.13 / 10.12 / 10.11 / 10.10
- Outlook 2016 / 2011
- Mozilla Thunderbird
(Samsung, Sony, Xiaomi, etc.)
(iPhone / iPad / iPod)
In case of a problem
Study the different possible reasons for a configuration failure: https://faq.infomaniak.com/2218
Technical information for advanced users
Whatever email software or smartphone you use, the settings are always identical for configuring an email address:
- Incoming IMAP (recommended) or POP server name = mail.infomaniak.com
- Incoming port if IMAP: 993 with SSL if POP: 995 with SSL
- Outgoing SMTP server name = mail.infomaniak.com
- SMTP port: 587 with STARTTLS
- User name = full email address
- Password = the one you assigned to the email address concerned (click here to check your password)
- Authentication = compulsory for sending emails. Enabled in the SMTP settings of your email server. You must tick "use the same settings as the incoming server" or, depending on the software, re-enter a user name (= full email address) and its password.
To find out more about the difference between IMAP and POP: https://faq.infomaniak.com/787
This step-by-step guide explains:
- how to transfer a domain name to Infomaniak,
- how to move a website to Infomaniak without interruption,
- how to back up your old emails to manage them with Infomaniak.
If you need help to transfer your site to Infomaniak, don't hesitate to call on our partners.
1. Why use Infomaniak for your domain names, websites and email?
- Expertise: Infomaniak has been hosting websites for over 20 years. We are a recognized worldwide player for hosting and online solutions. Infomaniak is the No. 1 hosting service provider in Switzerland in terms of revenue, and No. 2 in terms of the number of sites hosted.
- Security: all our clients' data is hosted on servers located in Switzerland belonging to Infomaniak. Our solutions are systematically developed and maintained by our engineers in our offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Support: with more than 1,000 articles and videos, our knowledge base allows our customers to immediately answer the vast majority of their questions, and our customer service is open from Monday to Saturday. We help our customers get the full potential from our products by telephone and email.
- Responsible: Infomaniak is 100% committed to sustainable, responsible development through concrete actions, such as adopting the ISO 14001 standard, or creating the greenest datacentre in Switzerland. We offset 100% of the CO2 emissions that we generate through our activities and 100% of the energy we use is from renewable sources.
- Passionate: we love what we do and are pleased to offer high-end solutions at affordable prices. We are continually improving and enriching our services, based on market trends and customer needs.
By consolidating your domain names, websites and emails with Infomaniak, you simplify the management of your invoices and services. For example, linking a domain name to your website and your email address will be automatic. That way, you will not need to manually configure your DNS with another registrar.
2. Transferring a domain name to Infomaniak
The domain name is the address you enter in a browser to view a site, such as infomaniak.com
It is possible to transfer a domain name from one registrar to another.
These are the steps to follow to transfer a domain name to Infomaniak:
- log in with the registrar that currently manages your domain name
- get the transfer code from your current registrar for the domain name to be transferred (help)
- order the domain name to be transferredto Infomaniak
- during the transfer, be sure to keep the current DNS for the domain name
- enter the transfer code when prompted
3. Moving a website to Infomaniak
All the sites you visit are stored (hosted) with companies usually referred to as web hosts. If you already have a website, it is possible to entrust Infomaniak with the management of its hosting without interrupting the operation of your current site and without inconveniencing your loyal visitors :)
Here are the steps to take in order to move your current site to Infomaniak:
- using a FTP program, back up all the files on your site with your current web host
- back up your MySQL databases if you use any
- order the Infomaniak hosting of your choice with the current domain name of your website
- create a FTP account via our Manager (help)
- using a FTP program, send the website files that you saved in step 1 in your hosting's Web folder (you can also use our FTP Manager (help) to upload a .zip of your data and unzip everything from the tool)
- from our admin console, create a new MySQL database with a user who has full rights to the database (help)
- from our Manager, import the backup of your database to the database that has just been created (help)
- in the configuration file of your web app (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.), adapt the following information based on the settings shown in our Manager (help):
- the database name
- the database server
- the database username
- the database user's password
- test your website using the preview address (help)
- don't forget to follow chapter 5 of this guide to redirect your domain name to your new hosting!
Warning: the procedure described is only valid if the domain name does not change. If this is not the case, you should make the necessary adjustments to your MySQL databases, if you use them. Steps 2, 6, 7, and 8 are not necessary if your site does not use a database.
4. Transferring the management of your emails to Infomaniak
By entrusting the management of your mail to Infomaniak, you can have a WorkSpace account.
WorkSpace is a comprehensive online solution for viewing and managing your emails, contacts, calendars, tasks and bookmarks online. It also enables you to sync your contacts and calendars with a smartphone, tablet or email software.
Here are the steps to take in order to manage your email with Infomaniak:
- if necessary, order a Mail hosting (help)
- create the required email addresses via our Manager (help)
- configure your WorkSpace account (help) or your email software with your new addresses (help)
- use our synchronization tools (syncimap/imapsync) to automatically copy and transfer the content of the old email address to the new address, box by box or in batches (help)
If WorkSpace is used:
- import contacts to the address book (help) and import a calendar to the WorkSpace calendar (help)
- configure the synchronization of contacts and calendars with your smartphone/tablet (help)
5. Enabling your new hosting
Now, you just need to point your domain name to the Infomaniak hosting:
- open the Manager (manager.infomaniak.com)
- go to Domain name
- click on the domain name concerned
- in the left side menu, click on Managing DNS
- click on DNS Servers
- click on Change DNS servers
- tick the Infomaniak DNS servers box and click on Confirm
6. Wait up to 48 hours and then cancel your old services
Updating the DNS for your domain name can take up to 48 hours. It is therefore possible that your domain will still point to your old web host during this period.
Once that time has elapsed, don't forget to terminate your services (email, website hosting, etc.) with your old hosting service provider.
Congratulations :) Your site and your email is now hosted with Infomaniak.
Thank you for your trust.
And after that?
This guide explains how to change the password of an email account hosted by Infomaniak from the WorkSpace.
To follow this guide, you must have:
- a valid login for Workspace
- permission to change the password for the address (if you were invited to WorkSpace in order to manage your address, the manager may have withdrawn this right during the invitation)
To change an email account password
- open the Infomaniak WorkSpace: https://workspace.infomaniak.com/
- in the menu under your user name in the top-right corner, select Email settings
- under the heading My email addresses, click on the button to the right of the email address for which you wish to change the password
- select Manage
- in the Generaltab, on the Passwordline click on Modify
- follow the displayed instructions
Note that you can also apply a new password to the email address directly from the dashboard of the Mail hosting itself (click here and contact the product administrator for that).
You may add contacts to your Webmail address book from various sources.
Illustrated stepsContacts from the old Webmail system
In Webmail2, go to Contacts
Click on Import/Export -> Import Webmail Contacts
Outlook 2011 Contacts (Mac) -> vCard .vcf files as e-mail attachments
Outlook 2010 Contacts (PC) -> vCard .vcf files as e-mail attachments
Spreadsheet (Excel, etc.) -> CSV File
Outlook Contacts -> iCal4ol
Actions to be carried out
Create a folder in your address book
Drag into it all of the contacts that you wish to associate with that folder
Compose a new message
Click on the "A" to the left of the To field
This will bring up your address book and corresponding subfolders
It is also possible to use contacts currently in your address book to send them an individual or group message by typing the first few letters.
The various techniques illustrated
You may also create a group of contacts to be shared with other Webmail users (users you select and invite, of course). More information
To change the appearance of a contact or group, simply go to the contact's card and tick/untick the relevant checkboxes. Changes take immediate effect.
Should a contact no longer belong to any group (whether shared or not), they will appear at the bottom of the list of groups in a section marked "Groupless Contacts".
This guide explains how to share one or more agendas or calendars with WorkSpace users.
Sharing an agenda/calendar
- Login to the WorkSpace (https://workspace.infomaniak.com)
- click on the grey envelopes icon in the top right
- select Agenda
- place the mouse over the agenda to be shared and click on the arrow that appears to the right
- on the menu that pops up, click on Sharing options
- Enter the email address for the WorkSpace account for the user who will access the agenda. If the user does not yet have a WorkSpace account, they can create one free of charge.
- Determine the user rights over this address book (Administration, Read only, Read and write access)
- Close the window
While they are present in your Webmail it is possible that some folders don't appear in your IMAP configured email software.
In your email software, right-click on the IMAP account and find the "IMAP folders" -> "register" or "subscriptions" designation.
and for Thunderbird and other software, a search will give you some tips as a response.
Thank you for letting us host your emails.
Important: if your domain name is not managed by Infomaniak or your Infomaniak Email hosting is not managed in the same client account as your domain name, followthis guideto configure the DNS or the Records to link the domain name to your Email hosting.
You ordered Email hosting and you wish to...
- Create and manage your email addresses
- Access the Workspace read and manage your emails, contacts, schedules, tasks and online favourites
- Configure an email address in email software
- Synchronize your contacts, schedules and tasks with software, a smartphone or a tablet
- Add an alias domain to an existing email address
This guide explains how to change the password for most of our services. It is not possible to read the password currently in place because it is encrypted, the only solution is to apply a new one over the old one.
Change the password to access the Manager and WorkSpace
Change an email address password (email account
- do it from WorkSpace: https://faq.infomaniak.com/711
- do it from the Mail hosting control panel: https://faq.infomaniak.com/1321
Change the user password for a MySQL database
Change the user password for a FTP account
Workspace lets you manage one or more email addresses hosted by Infomaniak. This guide explains how to add an email address to an existing WorkSpace in order to check it, manage it, send emails with it, etc.
Adding an email address to a WorkSpace
This procedure lets you manually add an email address hosted with Infomaniak to your WorkSpace. The same email address can be managed in several different WorkSpace accounts.
- open the WorkSpace (workspace.infomaniak.com)
- click on the grey envelopes icon in the top right
- select Settings
- in the left side menu click on My email addresses
- click on Link an email address
- enter the full email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and the email address password (help)
- click on Confirm
- repeat steps 4 to 6 to add other email addresses
- the email address must exist on the relevant Mail hosting (how to create an eamil address)
- it is only possible to add email addresses hosted with Infomaniak to the WorkSpace
If you do not yet have a WorkSpace account
You can get a WorkSpace account if you know the email address and its password, as long as no WorkSpace account already uses a login in the form of the email address in question. For example: a Mila hosting owner with Infomaniak has just created an email address email@example.com for you with the password h2xG1Fy9.
Log out of WorkSpace entirely and any potential connection to it (open a private browser tab for more security) and go to the WorkSpace home page workspace.infomaniak.com. For a login email address, enter firstname.lastname@example.org and for a password h2xG1Fy9. This will now launch the creation of a WorkSpace with this login and once the registration is finished, you can then immediately use the email address email@example.com as it will automatically be added internally.
See also https://faq.infomaniak.com/2058