1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Before configuring an email address, it must exist in the admin console.
- Guide for creating a new email address
Reading and sending your emails with WorkSpace
WorkSpace is the simplest solution for:
- reading and sending your emails from your internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc.)
- synchronising your contacts and calendars with a smartphone, tablet or email device
"Step-by-step" configuration guides
- Apple Mail Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra) / 10.12 (Sierra) / 10.11 (El Capitan) / 10.10 (Yosemite) / 10.9 / 10.8 / 10.7 / 10.6
- Outlook 2016 / 2011
- Mozilla Thunderbird
(Samsung, Sony, Xiaomi, etc.)
- Android 8 Oreo
- Android 7 Nougat
- Android 6 Marshmallow
- Android 5 Lollipop
- Android 4 KitKat
- Blue Mail
- K-9 Mail
(iPhone / iPad / iPod)
Technical information for advanced users
Whatever email software or smartphone you use, the settings are always identical for configuring an email address:
- incoming server name IMAP (recommended) or POP = mail.infomaniak.com
- incoming port if IMAP: 993 with SSL if POP: 995 with SSL
- outgoing server name SMTP = mail.infomaniak.com
- SMTP port: 587 with STARTTLS
- user name = full email address
- password = the one you assigned to the email address in question (click here to verify your password)
- authentication = compulsory for sending emails. Enabled in the SMTP settings of your client mail. You must select "use the same settings as the incoming server" or depending on the software, re-enter a user name (= full email address) and its password
To find out more about the difference between IMAP and POP: https://faq.infomaniak.com/787
Study the different possible reasons for a configuration failure: https://faq.infomaniak.com/2218
This guide explains step by step:
- how to transfer a domain name to Infomaniak,
- how to move a website to Infomaniak without interruption,
- how to back up your old emails to manage them with Infomaniak.
1. Why use Infomaniak for your domain names, websites and email?
- Expertise: Infomaniak has been hosting websites for over 20 years. We are a recognized player around the whole world in terms of hosting and online solutions. Infomaniak is the No. 1 hosting service provider in Switzerland in terms of revenue, and the No. 2 in terms of the number of sites hosted.
- Security: all our clients' data is hosted on servers located in Switzerland belonging to Infomaniak. Our solutions are systematically developed and maintained by our engineers in our offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Support: with more than 1,000 articles and videos, our knowledge base allows our customers to immediately answer the vast majority of their own questions, and our customer service is open from Monday to Saturday. We help our customers get the full potential from our products by telephone and email.
- Responsible: Infomaniak is 100% committed to sustainable, responsible development through concrete actions, such as adopting the ISO 14001 standard, or creating the greenest datacentre in Switzerland. We offset 100% of the CO2 emissions that we generate through our activities and 100% of the energy we use is from renewable sources.
- Passionate: we love what we do and are pleased to offer high-end solutions at affordable prices. We are continually improving and enriching our services, based on market trends and customer needs.
By consolidating your domain names, websites, and emails with Infomaniak, you can simplify the management of your bills and your services. For example, linking a domain name with your website and your email address will be automatic. That way, you won't need to manually configure your DNS with another registrar (registration office).
2. Transferring a domain name to Infomaniak
The domain name is the address you enter in a browser to view a site, such as infomaniak.com
It's possible to transfer a domain name from one registrar to another.
These are the steps to follow to transfer a domain name to Infomaniak:
- log in with the registrar that currently manages your domain name
- get the transfer code from your current registrar for the domain name to be transferred (help)
- order the domain name to be transferred to Infomaniak
- During the transfer, be sure to keep the current DNS for the domain name
- enter the transfer code when prompted
3. Moving a website to Infomaniak
All the sites you visit are stored (hosted) with companies usually referred to as web hosts. If you already have a website, it's possible to trust Infomaniak with the management of its hosting without interrupting the operation of your current site and without inconveniencing your loyal visitors :)
Here are the steps to take in order to move your current site to Infomaniak:
- Using an FTP program, back up all the files on your site with your current web host
- back up your MySQL databases if you use any
- order the Infomaniak hosting of your choice with the current domain name for your website
- from our Manager, create an FTP account (help)
- using an FTP program, send your website files that you saved in step 1 in your hosting's Web folder (you can also use our FTP Manager (help) to upload a .zip of your data and unzip everything from the tool)
- from our Manager, create a new MySQL database with a user who has full rights to the database (using)
- from our Manager, import the backup of your database to the database that has just been created (help)
- In the configuration file of your web app (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.), adapt the following information based on the parameters shown in our admin console (help):
- the database name
- the database server
- the database username
- the database user's password
- test your website using the preview address (help)
- don't forget to follow chapter 5 of this guide to redirect your domain name to your new hosting!
Warning: the procedure described is only valid if the domain name does not change. Where applicable, you should make the necessary adjustments to your MySQL databases if you use any. Steps 2, 6, 7, and 8 are not necessary if your site does not use a database.
4. Moving the management of your emails to Infomaniak
By outsourcing the management of your mails to Infomaniak you can have a WorkSpace account.
WorkSpace is a comprehensive online solution for viewing and managing your emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and bookmarks online. It also lets you sync your contacts and calendars with a smartphone, tablet or email software.
Here are the steps to take in order to manage your emails with Infomaniak:
- if necessary, order a Mail hosting (help)
- from our Manager, create the required mail addresses (help)
- configure your WorkSpace account (help) or your email software with your new addresses (help)
- use our synchronisation tools (syncimap/imapsync) to automatically copy and rehouse the content of the old email address to the new address, box by box or in batches (help)
- import contacts to the address book (help) and import a calendar to the WorkSpace calendar (help) configure the synchronisation of contacts and calendars with your smartphone/tablet (help)
5. Activate your new hosting
Now, you just need to point your domain name to the Infomaniak hosting:
- open the manager (manager.infomaniak.com)
- go to Domain name
- click on the domain name in question
- click on the Managing DNS button
- click on the Change DNS servers button
- tick the Infomaniak name servers box and click on Save
Updating the DNS for your domain name can take up to 48 hours. It is therefore possible that your domain will still point to your old web host for 48 hours.
Once that time has elapsed, don't forget to terminate your services (email, hosting your sites, etc.) with your old hosting service provider.
Congratulations :) Your site and your emails are now hosted with Infomaniak.
Thank you for your trust.
You can sync contacts and calendars from your WorkSpace with a smartphone, tablet or email program. For example, this lets you manage your contacts and calendars together in one place on your smartphone and tablet.
To configure the synchronisation of contacts and calendars with a program or mobile device, do the following:
- Open the configuration wizard https://workspace.infomaniak.com/
- Follow the wizard depending on the program or device to be synchronised
- At the end of the procedure, guides are available for commonly used programs and devices.
You will need a WorkSpace account or a client account to access the configuration wizard. If you have forgotten your login:https://login.infomaniak.com/forgot
Here are the currently supported protocols for synchronisation:
To learn more:
- actions to perform for the synchronisation of contacts and calendars when two-factor authentication is activated
You may add contacts to your Webmail address book from various sources.
Illustrated stepsContacts from the old Webmail system
In Webmail2, go to Contacts
Click on Import/Export -> Import Webmail Contacts
Outlook 2011 Contacts (Mac) -> vCard .vcf files as e-mail attachments
Outlook 2010 Contacts (PC) -> vCard .vcf files as e-mail attachments
Spreadsheet (Excel, etc.) -> CSV File
Outlook Contacts -> iCal4ol
Actions to be carried out
Create a folder in your address book
Drag into it all of the contacts that you wish to associate with that folder
Compose a new message
Click on the "A" to the left of the To field
This will bring up your address book and corresponding subfolders
It is also possible to use contacts currently in your address book to send them an individual or group message by typing the first few letters.
The various techniques illustrated
You may also create a group of contacts to be shared with other Webmail users (users you select and invite, of course). More information
To change the appearance of a contact or group, simply go to the contact's card and tick/untick the relevant checkboxes. Changes take immediate effect.
Should a contact no longer belong to any group (whether shared or not), they will appear at the bottom of the list of groups in a section marked "Groupless Contacts".
This guide explains how to share one or more agendas or calendars with WorkSpace users.
Sharing an agenda/calendar
- Login to the WorkSpace (https://workspace.infomaniak.com)
- click on the grey envelopes icon in the top right
- select Agenda
- place the mouse over the agenda to be shared and click on the arrow that appears to the right
- on the menu that pops up, click on Sharing options
- Enter the email address for the WorkSpace account for the user who will access the agenda. If the user does not yet have a WorkSpace account, they can create one free of charge.
- Determine the user rights over this address book (Administration, Read only, Read and write access)
- Close the window
While they are present in your Webmail it is possible that some folders don't appear in your IMAP configured email software.
In your email software, right-click on the IMAP account and find the "IMAP folders" -> "register" or "subscriptions" designation.
and for Thunderbird and other software, a search will give you some tips as a response.
Thank you for letting us host your emails.
Important: if your domain name is not managed by Infomaniak or your Infomaniak Email hosting is not managed in the same client account as your domain name, followthis guideto configure the DNS or the Records to link the domain name to your Email hosting.
You ordered Email hosting and you wish to...
- Create and manage your email addresses
- Access the Workspace read and manage your emails, contacts, schedules, tasks and online favourites
- Configure an email address in email software
- Synchronize your contacts, schedules and tasks with software, a smartphone or a tablet
- Add an alias domain to an existing email address
This guide explains how to change the password for most of our services. It is not possible to read the password currently in place because it is encrypted, the only solution is to apply a new one over the old one.
Change the password to access the Manager and WorkSpace
Change an email address password (email account
- do it from WorkSpace: https://faq.infomaniak.com/711
- do it from the Mail hosting control panel: https://faq.infomaniak.com/1321
Change the user password for a MySQL database
Change the user password for a FTP account
The username and password used to log in to the Manager (admin console for your products) and WorkSpace online email interface to use one or more email addresses) are not necessarily the same as those used for an email account hosted by Infomaniak.
In short, you have:
- 1 username (in the form of an email address) and 1 password to access
- 1 password for each email account hosted by Infomaniak
- Changing an Infomaniak / WorkSpace password: https://faq.infomaniak.com/2193
- Changing an email account password: https://faq.infomaniak.com/2017
- Testing the password for an email account
These can be identical or not, as you choose. And if you change one, this will not change the other one.
For example, it is possible to log in to the WorkSpace or the Manager with an email address not managed by Infomaniak (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
Similarly, the password used to log in to the WorkSpace or the Manager could be "pAssW8ox3C", while the password for your Infomaniak email address is "h6Kcy34rT".