1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Changing or editing the domain name associated with an Email-only bundle (domain name inversion)
This guide explains how to change the domain name linked to your email address.
If the new domain name or its DNS zone is managed by Infomaniak, everything is OK. If you wish, you can entrust us with the management of your domain name.
If necessary, read the following carefully:
- The MX record of the domain name must point to Infomaniak (help)
- to prevent this approach from causing a failure of email traffic, the MX record of the domain name must have been pointing to Infomaniak for at least 48 hours
To understand how a domain name works: https://faq.infomaniak.com/2026
Steps to follow
- open the admin console (https://login.infomaniak.com)
- Go toEmail hosting
- click on the hosting/domain name concerned
- under Alias domains (at the bottom of the page), click on the button Link a domain name to add the new domain name desired. Tick the following boxes:
- Updating DNS entries for this domain
- Replace existing entries
- hover over the domain that you wish to convert to the primary domain and click on the crossed arrows icon to proceed with the primary domain name inversion (see the video if necessary)
- delete the old domain name that has become an alias domain
This video shows how to create a new primary domain name and delete the old one: