1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Change the domain name of a Mail Service
This guide explains how to replace the main domain name associated with a Mail Service in the event that you want to change the spelling of everything that comes after the at sign @ of your email address (= the domain name).
Indeed it is not possible to simply modify the spelling of the domain name concerned.
It is necessary to have the new domain name (if necessary it will be necessary to create it beforehand ) and to come and install it in place of the current one by carrying out an inversion (read below).
Also note that you can rename your product in the Infomaniak Manager, but changing the name of a Mail Service has absolutely no impact on its emails. You have to act on the domain name.
Replace primary domain
Once the new domain name is ready to use in place of the old one:
- connect to your Infomaniak space ( manager.infomaniak.com )
- go to Service Mail
- click on the Mail Service/domain name concerned
- in the left side menu, click on Domain management , then select List of domains linked to the service
- click on the blue button in the upper right corner :
There are two ways to add a synonym domain:
- use the Find an existing domain function , which will offer a list of domains found on the Infomaniak account to which you are connected. This will automatically bind and update the DNS zone of the added domain.
- use the Add a domain name or subdomain function , you will need to manually indicate the domain name or subdomain to add.
If your domain name is managed by Infomaniak, you will have to choose from the following options: Update DNS entries , Replace existing entries , Set as main domain .
If it is not managed by Infomaniak, you will have to make the necessary changes with your registrar or transfer management of the domain name to Infomaniak. The DNS or at least the MX must be those of Infomaniak.
To avoid any cut in mail traffic, the MX record of the new domain name must point to Infomaniak for at least 24 or even 48 hours.
- then click on Link this domain
- from the list of linked domains, click on the icon on the far right of the new domain name added and select Set as primary domain
- then, from the list of linked domains, click on the icon on the far right of the old main domain and select Unlink domain