1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Modify IMAP special folders for an email address
This guide explains how to modify the location of certain folders in your email account.
In particular, the user will be able to customise the synchronization of IMAP folders with the Outlook, Mail iOS, Thunderbird, Spark, etc. email webmail software
Why configure special folders?
The tree structure of a conventional mailbox may contain certain special folders such as the one for storing messages once they have been sent (= "Sent messages") or the one which stores emails until they are permanently deleted (= "Trash").
Everything is already configured so that it is synchronized between the different webmail interfaces around the world, but if you want to make certain adjustments or modifications for various reasons, sometimes linguistic, this section is perfect for you.
The tool allows you to modify these special folders:
- sent messages
via Mail or an Email Service.
Access via the Email Service
- open the Manager ( )
- go to Email Service
- if necessary, click on the Email Service concerned
- click on the email address concerned
- click on the Folders tab
Access via Mail
- open Mail (mail.infomaniak.com)
- click on the icon at the top right
- select Email addresses
- select Folders
If you do not have access...
- Check that you have a valid access to the Mail with which the email address is associated
- Do you have the permission to manage this parameter? If you were invited to Mail to manage your address, the Email Service administrator may have withdrawn this right when sending the invitation (find out more (click here)
Configure the special folders
Select the desired folders to store your drafts, archives, sent messages by default and your recycle bin by clicking on the zone to the right of each element.
This will display the list of folders already present in the tree structure of your webmail (if necessary, create the desired folder first via Mail or an IMAP software).
Some webmail programs also allow you to modify the location of the special folders. Please consult the official documentation of your webmail software if necessary. The following links are provided for information purposes:
- Mozilla Thunderbird (official documentation)
- Microsoft Outlook 2013 (non-official documentation)
- on an iPhone (non-official documentation, in English)