1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Solve a mail problem (messaging software)
This guide helps you identify and fix errors encountered when trying to use your email software like Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc.
- Always use the server mail.infomaniak.com (for IMAP receiving servers and SMTP sending servers) and follow the correct port numbers
- Always enable authentication in the email software settings. Provide your username (your full email address) and password if required in the fields for mandatory authentication
- Always use the email password to configure email software and use your user account password to access Infomaniak tools. The password for your email address is usually different. Click here to check if you are using the correct password, and if necessary, change the password for your email address
- Has the email address been created correctly? After ordering an Email Service, create the email addresses to use them
- Is the address being accessed by 2 protocols at the same time? Never check an email account with devices configured in POP3 and IMAP at the same time because these two protocols do not work well together! Your messages are likely to become unread and/or be downloaded twice at some point, even after months of use...
Try These First
- Compare the recommended settings for the software you are using, especially if you have recently changed the password on the Infomaniak side
- Check your emails using a different network (Wi-Fi, mobile data sharing from 4G/5G, or any other internet connection)
- Temporarily disable your security software (antivirus, firewall, VPN, etc.). If you can then retrieve your emails normally, please contact the publisher of the security software you are using
- Type your password in clear text in a text editor. Depending on your keyboard configuration, the key A may correspond to the letter Z, and the key Q may correspond to the letter A, for example
- Try again! Some versions of certain software (like Outlook) require multiple validations of the configuration settings window. Other software (like Apple Mail) requires them to be restarted to apply new settings. Additionally, a message in progress saved in the Drafts folder may not take into account any configuration changes, so to test sending, you need to compose a new message
- An error 0x800...? Read this guide (click here)
- A certificate error (SSL or other)? Read this guide (click here)
- An error "550 5.7.1 relaying denied" or "Proper authentication required? Read this guide (click here)
- An error "535 5.7.0 authentication failed"? Read this guide (click here)
- "573 Swisscom Antispam: Authentication connection not possible. Please use port 587 instead of port 25. Further information: www.swisscom.ch/p25."
or "An operation on the server timed out. The server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic."
or "le délai imparti est dépassé" with an error number that follows (421, or 573, for example). Free, Tele2, Orange (Wanadoo), Neuf, Econophone, Swisscom (Bluewin), Net2000, etc. and most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have blocked sending SMTP port 25 many years ago. Therefore, never specify port 25 as the SMTP port. To still be able to send emails, use the recommended ports.