1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Fix an IP address problem
This guide is about IP addresses, specifically:
- those assigned to websites/hosting/servers, dynamic or static IPs, shared or dedicated
- those assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) when establishing an Internet connection to your Infomaniak product
Benefits of a Dedicated IP for a Website
A dedicated or static IP address for a website is a permanent IP address specifically assigned to it. Unlike a shared IP address, which is used by multiple websites, a dedicated IP ensures that only this platform is associated with that address. Dedicated IP addresses for websites are often used in cases where stability, customization, and security are important, such as hosting servers, configuring firewalls, or enabling SSL certificates (although it is possible to proceed without a dedicated IP to install an SSL certificate).
Here are the main advantages:
- configure a PTR entry or reverse DNS on dedicated IPs, useful especially for setting up a mail server as some email providers check the PTR record before accepting emails sent from a server
- better connection stability
- reduced risk of a bad reputation associated with websites sharing the same IP
- ease of configuration for certain technical aspects
- a dedicated IP can improve the SEO of a website (although there are differing opinions among SEO experts)
Add a Dedicated IP to the Website
To add a dedicated IP to your website, read this guide (click here).
Blocking the IP Address (Internet Connection)
If you can no longer access:
- all your email addresses you own with Infomaniak (which usually work well) using email software from the same Internet network (i.e., from the same IP address provided by your ISP)
or if you have unfortunately performed such operations:
- repeated unsuccessful connection attempts via FTP, SSH, or on access points such as WordPress login
- requests returning too many errors such as mass 403 errors
your access to Infomaniak servers may be blocked due to the banning of the IP address (banip / ipban) from your Internet connection.
Permanent Unblock (IP Whitelisting)
With a Managed Cloud Server, you can request to permanently allow the specific IP address so that the blocking does not happen again regardless of the situation. To do this, you must:
- have a dedicated IP associated with your Managed Cloud Server
- be aware that we will no longer block any attacks originating from this IP; attacks or malicious access attempts from this address will no longer be automatically blocked by our security systems
- confirm via email and from a contact address associated with the account (owner or administrator) that you understand and accept full responsibility in case of an attack originating from this IP