1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Installing a WordPress site parallel to the site which is already active
This guide explains how to install a My WordPress Site in a subdirectory. This allows you for example to create a WordPress site (yourdomain.tld/blogwordpress) without crashing your current website (yourdomain.tld).
Some basic knowledge is required in order to follow this guide.
1. Install WordPress in a subfolder
- change the website directory, specifying the folder of the future WordPress site (help)
- install your WordPress site with My WordPress Site (help).
WordPress files will be placed in the folder set up in the previous step
- restore the target directory as before (by default: /web)
At this stage, the primary site (votredomaine.tld) should be accessible again. However, the WordPress site is no longer accessible and the site's pathway needs to be changed manually in the WordPress site MySQL database.
2. Update the WordPress site
- create a new MySQL user and assign them rights on the database created automatically when installing the WordPress site (help)
- log in to phpMyAdmin through the user created in the previous step (help)
- in the WordPress site database, edit the table wp_options and change the entry values siteurl and home by the URL address of your WordPress site (in this example: yourdomain.tld/blogwordpress).
At this stage, your primary site and your WordPress site should work correctly.