1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Conditions and procedure to obtain a Sectigo EV certificate
Extended validation (EV) SSL certificates can only be granted to organisations, businesses and companies registered on the commercial register or with the chamber of commerce. This obligation does not apply to Sectigo and Let's Encrypt DV certificates.
EV SSL certificate: validation procedure
It can take up to 24 hours to obtain an EV SSL certificate and requires you to carry out certain operations.
1. Verification of the details of the business
The data that will be added to the certificate must first be verified by an independent source:
- the legal or business name
- the legal status
- the address
- the postcode
- the region / canton / department
- the country / the country code
- the name of the business must correspond exactly to the one registered on the commercial register or with the chamber of commerce. The order can only be processed if the name provided is registered and correctly written.
- only the registered legal name or brand name followed by the legal name in brackets is authorised (e.g.: Brand name [Legal name]). For bodies without a legal name, all trade names can be used.
- it is prohibited to use a postal address.
In the light of the above, a new request with correct data in the CSR is sometimes necessary, and we may also need your approval to modify information provided when ordering.
2. Verification of data in the Whois directory
The Whois directory displays information concerning the owner of a domain name. This information must correspond to the information provided when ordering the EV SSL certificate.
To update the information concerning a domain in the Whois:
- if your domain is managed by Infomaniak, please follow this guide
- if your domain is not managed by Infomaniak, please contact your host/registrar
3. EV certificate form and contract
After ordering an EV certificate, the company contact person designated when placing the order will receive a message from the Sectigo certification body with the following documents:
- the certificate request form
- the certificate contract
These documents are pre-completed and the contact person must validate them on line.
4. Verification of the professional telephone
The company contact designated when ordering is contacted by Sectigo by telephone on the number registered with the commercial registry or chamber of commerce. The call will be placed from the Netherlands (+31 88 775 77 77).
Each request for a certificate is validated by telephone, including renewals and re-issues of multi-domain certificates.
5. Verification of the domain (external sites only)
This step verifies that you have the admin rights for the domain for which the certificate is requested.
Each domain or subdomain must be individually approved through one of the methods described in this guide.
Find out more
- Differences between an EV, DV and Let's Encrypt SSL certificate
- Frequent errors following the activation of an SSL certificate