1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Replace a subdomain with a domain
This guide explains how to change the address of a site currently subdomain (https://dev.domain.abc for example) by the main domain (https://domain.abc).
The 4 operations in brief
- we start with a site created and accessible by the URL https://dev.domain.abc
- we add an alias to it domain.abc
- we invert the 2 types (the main domain becomes alias and the alias becomes main)
- we remove the old name dev.domain.abc
Operations in detail
To switch from a site with a "dev.domain.abc" subdomain type address to a direct "domain.abc" address:
- open the Manager (manager.infomaniak.com)
- go to Web Hosting
- if necessary click on the hosting/domain name concerned
- in the Sites block, click on the site concerned
- in the Domains block, click on Add
- add the new desired name on the first line, check the corresponding boxes, specify the main domain to define, and validate
- Unlink the subdomain via the action menu to its right in the Domains
Note that the location of the site remains in the original folder on the server — the name of this location can be of the form /sites/dev.domain.abc for example but this has no effect on the site in production.
Also read the information in the last chapter of this guide.
Link to this FAQ: