1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Strengthening the security of a Synology storage server
This guide provides general information on how to enhance the security of a Synology server. Our support team only answers questions concerning the hardware part of Synology storage servers.
It is necessary to secure your Synology server
Synology NAS are very popular and therefore suffer many hacking attempts. It is therefore important to set up your Synology correctly and protect it with a strong password. In some cases, it could be vulnerable to automatic scans looking and detect all Synology servers connected throughout the world with vulnerabilities that are easy to exploit.
Some best practices to be applied to enhance the security of your Synology erver:
- Systematically updating the operating system of Synology server (DSM)
- Open the Security Advisor application and do a scan to detect security problems. Implement all the proposed recommendations
- Change the default port, which is set to 5000 (e.g., 26753 or 38000)
- Enable and configure the firewall
- Disable the services and modules that are not used and not necessary for your purposes
- Insofar as possible, do not use MyDS
- Implement these recommendations: https://www.synology.com/fr-fr/knowledgebase/tutorials/615