1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Transferring a website from one web host to another/Changing Hosts/Joining Infomaniak
This guide explains step by step:
- how to transfer a domain name to Infomaniak,
- how to move a website to Infomaniak without interruption,
- how to back up your old emails to manage them with Infomaniak.
1. Why use Infomaniak for your domain names, websites and email?
- Expertise: Infomaniak has been hosting websites for over 20 years. We are a recognized player around the whole world in terms of hosting and online solutions. Infomaniak is the No. 1 hosting service provider in Switzerland in terms of revenue, and the No. 2 in terms of the number of sites hosted.
- Security: all our clients' data is hosted on servers located in Switzerland belonging to Infomaniak. Our solutions are systematically developed and maintained by our engineers in our offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Support: with more than 1,000 articles and videos, our knowledge base allows our customers to immediately answer the vast majority of their own questions, and our customer service is open from Monday to Saturday. We help our customers get the full potential from our products by telephone and email.
- Responsible: Infomaniak is 100% committed to sustainable, responsible development through concrete actions, such as adopting the ISO 14001 standard, or creating the greenest datacentre in Switzerland. We offset 100% of the CO2 emissions that we generate through our activities and 100% of the energy we use is from renewable sources.
- Passionate: we love what we do and are pleased to offer high-end solutions at affordable prices. We are continually improving and enriching our services, based on market trends and customer needs.
By consolidating your domain names, websites, and emails with Infomaniak, you can simplify the management of your bills and your services. For example, linking a domain name with your website and your email address will be automatic. That way, you won't need to manually configure your DNS with another registrar (registration office).
2. 2. Transferring a domain name to Infomaniak
The domain name is the address you enter in a browser to view a site, such as infomaniak.com
It's possible to transfer a domain name from one registrar to another.
These are the steps to follow to transfer a domain name to Infomaniak:
- log in with the registrar that currently manages your domain name
- get the transfer code from your current registrar for the domain name to be transferred (aide)
- order the domain name to be transferred to Infomaniak
- During the transfer, be sure to keep the current DNS for the domain name
- enter the transfer code when prompted
3. Moving a website to Infomaniak
All the sites you visit are stored (hosted) with companies usually referred to as web hosts. If you already have a website, it's possible to trust Infomaniak with the management of its hosting without interrupting the operation of your current site and without inconveniencing your loyal visitors :)
Here are the steps to take in order to move your current site to Infomaniak:
- Using an FTP program, back up all the files on your site with your current web host
- back up your MySQL databases if you use any
- order the Infomaniak hosting of your choice with the current domain name for your website
- from our admin console, create an FTP account (help)
- using an FTP program, send your website files that you saved in step 1 in your hosting's Web folder (you can also use our FTP Manager (aide) to upload a .zip of your data and unzip everything from the tool)
- from our admin console, create a new MySQL database with a user who has full rights to the database (using)
- from our admin console, import the backup of your database to the database that has just been created (help)
- In the configuration file of your web app (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.), adapt the following information based on the parameters shown in our admin console (support):
- the database name
- the database server
- the database username
- the database user's password
- test your website using the preview address (support)
- don't forget to follow chapter 5 of this guide to redirect your domain name to your new hosting!
Warning: The procedure described is only valid if the domain name does not change. Where applicable, you should make the necessary adjustments to your MySQL databases if you use any. Steps 2, 6, 7, and 8 are not necessary if your site does not use a database.
4. Moving the management of your emails to Infomaniak
By outsourcing the management of your mails to Infomaniak you can have a WorkSpace account.
WorkSpace is a comprehensive online solution for viewing and managing your emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and bookmarks online. It also lets you sync your contacts and calendars with a smartphone, tablet or email client.
Here are the steps to take in order to manage your emails with Infomaniak:
- if necessary, order a Mail hosting (aide)
- from our admin console, create the required mail addresses (help)
- configure your WorkSpace account (support) or your email client with your new addresses (help) use our synchronisation tools (syncimap/imapsync) to automatically copy and rehouse emails and the content of the old email address to the new address, box by box or in batches (help)
- if WorkSpace is used, configure the synchronisation of contacts and calendars with your smartphone/tablet (help)
5. Activate your new hosting
Now, you just need to point your domain name to the Infomaniak hosting:
- open the admin console (https://login.infomaniak.com)
- go to Domain name
- click on your domain name
- click on the Managing DNS button
- click on the Change DNS servers button
- tick the Infomaniak name servers box and click on Register
6. Wait up to 48 hours and then cancel your old service
Updating the DNS for your domain name can take up to 48 hours. It is therefore possible that your domain will still point to your old web host for 48 hours.
Once that time has elapsed, don't forget to terminate your services (email, hosting your sites, etc.) with your old hosting service provider.
Bravo :) Your site and your emails are now hosted with Infomaniak.
Thank you for your confidence.