1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Create glue records
This guide is intended for users who wish to manage Glue records at Infomaniak.
If for example you manage your DNS from an independent platform, a configuration that allows you to provide personalized DNS that your customers configure at their registrar, you will need to add "glue records" to your domain (add servers names for your domain - ns1.domain.xyz which points to a specific IP - and then point this same domain to its own name servers).
The glue records correspond to the IP addresses of a NS (name server). Before being able to use their domain name for an NS, this record must therefore be created.
Example: make the domain name domainexample.ch point its NS to ns1.domainexample.ch, but this has never been registered yet or points to the wrong IP address.
Through A record
This method consists of creating a record A (address) for ns1.exampledomain.ch pointing to the IP of the NS. This will have the effect of registering the IP with the registry. You can then add ns1.exampledomain.ch which will be recognized and redirected to the correct NS.
Via Glue records button
This way of doing things allows you to create, but also modify, existing Glue records:
- open the Manager (manager.infomaniak.com)
- go to Domain
- if necessary click on the domain name concerned
- in the left side menu click on Servers DNS
- click on the button Manage glue records
- click the Add Server button
- enter the name of the server to add and its IP address
- click on the Validate button
- Adding an NS does not automatically add it to the DNS zone. It is necessary to manually update the DNS zone of your domain.
- For some extensions (in particular .fr), the addition of glue record is subject to a different procedure. Please contact support if you are in this situation and tell us which record you want to set.