1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Order an EV SSL Certificate from Sectigo
This guide details the conditions and procedure for obtaining an EV SSL certificate from Sectigo.
Extended Validation (EV) SSL certificates can only be granted to organizations, companies, and entities registered with the registry or chamber of commerce. DV certificates from Sectigo and Let's Encrypt are not subject to this constraint.
Procedure for validating EV certificates
Obtaining an EV SSL certificate may take up to 24 hours and requires valid information from the customer.
This procedure is repeated every 12 months, regardless of the chosen subscription duration for the EV certificate.
1. Verification of company details
The data that will be added to the certificate must first be verified with an independent source:
- legal or trade name
- legal form
- postal code
- region / canton / department
- country / country code
- the company name must match exactly the one registered with the registry or chamber of commerce; the order can only be processed if the given name is registered and correctly noted
- only the registered legal name or the trade name followed by the legal name in parentheses is allowed [example: Trade name (Legal name)]; for entities without a legal name, any trade names can be used
- using a postal address is prohibited
In light of the above, a new request with correct data in the CSR may sometimes be necessary, and we may also need your approval to make changes to the information provided during the order.
2. Verification of data in the Whois directory
The Whois directory displays information about the owner of a domain name. This data must match the information provided when ordering the EV SSL certificate.
To update the information for a domain in Whois:
- if your domain is managed at Infomaniak, follow this guide (click here)
- if your domain is not managed at Infomaniak, contact your host/registrar
3. EV certificate form and contract
After ordering an EV certificate, the designated contact person for the company will receive a message from Sectigo certification authority with the following documents:
- the certificate request form
- the certificate contract
These documents are pre-filled, and the contact person must validate them online.
4. Verification of the professional phone number
The company contact specified in the order is contacted by Sectigo by phone using the number registered with the registry or chamber of commerce. The phone call will come from the Netherlands (+31 88 775 77 77).
Each certificate request is validated by phone, including renewals and reissues of multi-domain certificates.
5. Domain verification (only for external sites)
This step verifies that you have control of the domain for which the certificate is requested.
Each (sub) domain must be individually approved through one of the methods described in this guide (click here).