1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Adding an alias (domain) to a website
An alias is a second domain name linked to an existing site.
For example, for the site "example.com" to also be reachable with "www.example.com", you must add it as an alias to the "example.com" domain. In this example, "example.com" is the parent site of the "www.example.com" alias.
Generally, the "www" alias is already added and present but the procedure will also be useful to you when you want to point a second domain name to your site.
If the domain name (that will become the alias) or its DNS zone is managed by Infomaniak, everything is OK. Otherwise:
- the A Record of the domain name must point to Infomaniak (help)
- to simplify, you can entrust us with the management of your domain name
Adding an alias to an existing site:
- open the Manager (manager.infomaniak.com)
- go to Web Hosting
- click on the hosting/domain name in question
- under Sites at the lower right, click on the site concerned
- under Domains at the lower right, click on Add
- enter the alias domain name(s) to be added, separating them with the Enter key
- if the alias or its DNS zone is managed by Infomaniak, it is possible to automatically update the DNS entries. If not, make the necessary changes through your registrar or transfer the management of the domain name to Infomaniak: https://www.infomaniak.com/en/support/faq/1814/domain-name-transferring-to-infomaniak
- click on Confirm to finish the procedure
It can take up to 48 hours for the alias to point to the parent site.
If you have an SSL certificate, you should update it to include the aliases. With Let's encrypt https://faq.infomaniak.com/2155
To define the alias as the principal domain: https://www.infomaniak.com/en/support/faq/2070