1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Replacing or editing the primary domain name associated with a hosting (domain name inversion)
This guide explains how to change the domain name related to a Web hosting or managed Cloud server.
If the new domain name or its DNS zone is managed by Infomaniak, everything is OK. If you wish, you can entrust us with the management of your domain name.
If necessary, read the following:
- The MX record of the domain name must point to Infomaniak ( help )
- So that this approach does not cause a failure of email traffic, the MX record of the domain name must point to Infomaniak for at least 48 hours
To understand how a domain name functions: https://faq.infomaniak.com/2026
Actions to perform
- Open the admin console ( https://login.infomaniak.com )
- Go to Hosting
- click on the hosting/domain name in question
- Under sites (bottom of the page), click on the small arrow next to the Add Site button and hit Add aliases
- In the Alias Domain Name field, enter the new primary domain name once with www and the new primary domain name without www (see video if unsure)
- Convert the desired domain alias to the primary domain (see the video if necessary)
- Delete the old domain name and its variants that have become domain aliases
If an SSL certificate is used: the certificate is valid only for one domain and cannot be simply transferred to another domain. To replace or swap a domain name with SSL, therefore, it is first necessary to disable the SSL certificate, follow the procedure described above, and create a new SSL certificate for the new primary domain.
This video shows how to replace the main domain name of a hosting: