1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Replacing a Web hosting's domain name
This guide explains how to replace or change the primary domain name linked to a Web hosting.
If the new domain name or its DNS zone is managed by Infomaniak, everything is OK. If not:
- the A record of the domain name must point to Infomaniak (help)
- to prevent this approach from causing a failure of email traffic, the MX record of the domain name must have been pointing to Infomaniak for at least 48 hours
- to make things simpler, you can trust us with the management of your domain name
To understand how a domain name works:https://faq.infomaniak.com/2026
Proceed to the replacement of the domain name linked to the site
- open the Manager (manager.infomaniak.com)
- go to Hosting
- click on the hosting/domain name in question
- under Sites (at the bottom of the page), click on the little arrow next to the Add a site button and click on Add aliases
- in the Alias domain name field, enter 1x the new primary domain name with www and 1x the new primary domain name without www
- hover over the domain you want to make the primary domain and click on the crossed-arrows icon to proceed to the primary domain name inversion
- delete the old domain name and its variants that have become alias domains
If an SSL certificate is used: the certificate is valid only for one domain and cannot be simply transferred to another domain. To replace or swap a domain name with SSL, therefore, it is first necessary to disable the SSL certificate, follow the procedure described above, and create a new SSL certificate for the new primary domain.