1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Enabling and using the Web version of Infomaniak chat
Infomaniak chat is a secure means of communicating in real time, that can be used from a computer, a smartphone or tablet. Our instant messaging solution uses the Jabber communication protocol, an open source technology based on the XMPP standard. So, it's possible to use chat with all applications that support the XMPP standard.
1. Important information
The actions described in Points 2 and 3 must be performed by an administrator or one of the owners of the customer account (help). Point 4 must be followed by the chat end users.
2. Enabling Chat
To enable chat:
- Open the admin console (https://login.infomaniak.com)
- Go to Email Hosting
- Click on the email package in question
- On the left side panel, click on WorkSpace Users
- Hit the grey OFF button to enable chat
3. Adding users
Important: You can only chat with users who are in the same Email package. For example, if you have one Email package linked to the domain example.com and another package linked to the domain supermail.com, the users of the example.com Email package cannot chat with users of the supermail.com package. Therefore, it is important to create your different users in the same Email package, so they can see and talk to one another.
The user account of the chat is linked to a WorkSpace account. There are 2 ways to create a new WorkSpace account:
- Creating a new email address for another user: in this case, the user has a private email address (help).
- Adding a new user to an existing email address: in this case, multiple users share the same email address. This is the typical scenario in which several people must be able to manage an 'firstname.lastname@example.org' type account within an organization (read the section entitled, 'Creating a new WorkSpace' for help).
In both cases, a new WorkSpace account will be created by the user who will use chat.
4. Using chat
A simple web browser can connect to chat.
- Log into your WorkSpace account using this direct link: https://workspace.infomaniak.com/chat
- Or when you are in the WorkSpace or the Admin Console, click on the chat icon at the top right corner of the page:
=>To use chat on a mobile device or a program on your computer, click here.