1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Slowdowns, hosting slowness during FTP transfer for example, site overloading the server
The loading speed for a website depends on several factors (server performance, hosting service provider's network infrastructure, visitor's internet conection, website optimisation, etc.).
As a hosting serviceprovider, we make every effort to offer the very best in hosting and we are constantly evolving our products and our infrastructure. However, we do not intervene in the content of the servers or the development of websites. The creation or the maintenance of a site is a different matter, even ifit is linked to our activities, because we offer the tools and services a Webmaster uses to create websites.
At our level:
- all ourhostings run on latest generation SSD disks
- the infrastructure has over 70 Gbit/s interconnection and redundancy with the best internet providers (Swisscom, Cogent, Level3, etc.)
- in order to be able to absorb surges with no problem, our servers run with Intel Xeon 64 bit processors, which are replaced every 4 years, and our shared servers use on average only 40% of the power of their CPUs
and when you submit a request for support regarding slowdowns, we analyse whether:
- your hosting's server is working noramlly and has not encountered any problems in the last 48 hours
- our network infrastructure has not encountered any problems in the last 48 hours
At your level, we would suggest you:
- follow the Google PageSpeed Insights recommendations(https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/) in order to optimise your website. The points raised actually concern the design of the website and not the configuration of the server. If the result of the test suggests you authorise resources being compressed on your site, you will need the following guide: https://faq.infomaniak.com/2013
- enable PageSpeed: https://faq.infomaniak.com/1341
- install and configure a cache system on your site in order to avoid redundant access to the databases and speed up your site display:: https://faq.infomaniak.com/1162
- follow our test recommendations: https://faq.infomaniak.com/978
- test the FTP connection to your site with 2 different programs: https://faq.infomaniak.com/1083
- scan your hosting for viruses: https://faq.infomaniak.com/857
- regularly clean up the MySQL databases and delete useless entries
- use the latest PHP version compatible with your site/CMS/web application: https://faq.infomaniak.com/2053
- avoid using images, counters, CGI or media hosted on external providers, as these are unreachable, your site will seem slow
- disable superfluous extensions which consume a lot of resources in your CMS
- update and continue to update the CMS/web applications regularly
- implement a browsing delay for indexing bots, because some of them function very "aggressively". It is possible to limit their impact by implementing a Crawl-delay: https://faq.infomaniak.com/1833
- consult the potential error-logs which gather all the errors generated by your site. By correcting these errors, your site will be more reliable: https://faq.infomaniak.com/1926
- consult the potential MySQL. slowlogs. These collect the requests which take longer than 5 seconds to perform. It is important to correct the requests listed in this file: https://faq.infomaniak.com/1676
If a problem persists...
You should contact us in writing with the following information:
- name of the site that we host
- dates and times of the slowdowns experienced
- name of the database potentially involved / idem for the FTP account
- your IP address at the time of the tests (can be seen here http://www.infomaniak.ch/ip)
- type of slowdown experienced (displaying the site, FTP transfers...)
- problems (slowdowns for example) accessing the Infomaniak site intermittently?
- result of a traceroute to 126.96.36.199 and copy and paste to us the full results (screen grab if necessary
- result of a speedtest when choosing us as a destination (http://www.speedtest.net/ — click on Change server to choose us)
- result of your internet debits (http://www.libellules.ch/vitesse.html)