1000 FAQs, 500 tutorials and explanatory videos. Here, there are only solutions!
Switching an email account configured with POP into an IMAP account
The IMAP protocol is far more flexible than POP. Unfortunately, if the software has already configured an email account with POP, it is not possible to modify the latter to put it in IMAP directly. You should create another parallel one, then migrate your messages from one to the other. We accept no responsibility in the event of messages being lost after these operations.
Actions to be carried out
With Microsoft Outlook 2011 it's important to first make sure that your POP account appears on the left-hand side of your email client in the Personal folders section. These are the Personal folders which will be kept even when an account is deleted. If this isn't the case, you should move your current messages to the corresponding folders under Personal folders.
- Then go to the Tools menu -> Account settings
- Add the new account (the same account as your POP account but configured with IMAP)
- Once it has been created, delete the POP account
- Your previous messages can still be found in the Personal folders section
- Drag and drop them in one go to the inbox of the new IMAP account
With Apple Mail deleting the POP account deletes the messages it contains. That is why it is recommended, as shown in this guide (click here) for example, to disable the first account rather than delete it.